The department of Economics of Guwahati College was started with the establishment of the college in 1964 and had got the permanent affiliation of the Gauhati University with effect from 31.07.1989. The Department was initially headed by late Dr. Bandhuram Deka- one of the pioneers of the Guwhati College followed by Prof. Debesh Chandra Choudhury, Prof. Renu Dutta, and present HOD Dr.Khanindra Chandra Sarma. The department was also served by renowned personalities like Arobindo Kalita, Dr. Runumi Barua, Mrs. Rehna Iskandar Ali, Mrs. Manisha Sarma etc.
1. To impart quality education to the students.
2. To encourage the personality development among the students.
3. To create a spirit that they can face any challenge in the present day competitive world.
4. To develop a self entrepreneurship spirit among the students.
The department has a permanent forum called Guwahati College Planning Forum organised in 2002. Since its inception the forum organised seminars, special talk son important current topics inviting talented personalities, annual quiz competition (running Trophy), workshops, debating and symposium, annual publication of wall magazine. Apart from these the department also extends the academic activities by career counseling and an annual socio economic survey.
In an average 80% of the major students pass out successfully while 70% of the total enrollment in general course goes out with success.
Few outstanding performances are as follows 1. Rafiquddin Ahmed- 1st class 1st with distinction (1999-2000)
2. Pranamee Borgohain- 1st class 11th with distinction (2004-2005)
3. Kakoli Patgiri- 1st class 7th with distinction (2009-2010)
Besides, Miss Munmi Choudhury had been awarded as the best NCC cadet in the NE Region and had achieved the President's award in 2009.
|Mr. Sudarshan Narzary||Assistant Professor (HOD)||8876706234|
|Ms. Karabi Medhi||Assistant Professor||8486565070|
|Mr. Elwin Kro Nihang||Assistant Professor|