The department of Education came into existence in the year of establishment of the College i.e. 1964. Honourable teachers Dr. Lakshahira Das, Dr. Gauri Deka of Cotton College offered honourary service to the department of education. Official record of Guwahati College revealed that as per notification of Gauhati University dated 03/09/1990 the subject education was approved as the core subject of the institution of higher learning.
The main aim and objectives of the department are
1. To impart quality education coupled with character building in terms of discipline, diligence and dedication.
2. To make the students to successfully complete their course of study and to prepare them to take different professional role in different areas of education.
3. To impart quality education coupled with character building.
4. To create an awareness and healthy attitude towards their environment.
5. To foster right perception of moral values among the children.
6. To encourage students to acquire self knowledge and self confidence.
7. To inculcate social and community awareness.
The department organise different type of activities viz. a) academic activities b) Recreational activities and other co curricular activities of the all round development of the students. The department regularly organize popular talks, seminars, lectures, group discussions, field study etc.
2010 - Popular talk on 'Vedic education and its relevance in the present society'
2011 - Popular talk on 'Stress management'
2010 - Universalisation of primary education - its problems and prospects
2011 - Right to education act
2012 - Millennium development: goal and education
Along with academic activities, the department organise many cocurricular activities suc as-
1. Celebration of Teachers' Day
2. Felicitation of Meritorious students
3. Observation of world literary day
Apart from these the department is also closely associated with the Iswario Prajapati Brahma Kumari and Vivekananda Kendra.
Academic achievements of the students of the department is remarkable in major course throughout the years. 5 (five) students secured first class I 2010-11 academic year. Their names are listed below:
1. Nijara Kalita
2. Pallabi Kalita
3. Uttam Sahu
4. Ms. Chandana Kalita
5. Ms. Jutika Sarma
The students of the department also participate in extracurricular and other co-curricular activities at various levels with good performances bringing pride to the college.
|Dr. Rita Mahanta||Assistant Professor||9435012131|
|Mr. B.G. Basumatary||Assistant Professor||8486010939|
|Dr. Sonmoni Roy||Assistant Professor|